In October, as a part of my whole ‘intentional mothering’ group, I read a couple of essays on holiday advice. The both stressed how, in the end, children want our time. So, I thought this year I would try to see if we couldn’t figure out a way to go out of town-and to do that instead of presents. Initially, I wanted to go somewhere that had a real chance of getting snow. Which turned out to be a crazy idea. We ended up going to a cabin in Blue Ridge. Choosing this cabin was perfect-inexpensive, about an hour from where we live-so no driving time. We also had wifi-which, shamefully, was a lifesaver. I’m sorry-but sometimes around 6 p.m. I need the little people out of my hair for a few. It also was far enough to be able to see the stars at night (no street lights cars) and close enough in to have a drugstore open on Christmas Eve to get batteries. hahaha. The whole ‘presence not presents’ thing not so successful in theory but def. in reality.
10 Things About Our Christmas Cabin
- Seeing stars at night is amazing. No street lights, store lights, etc.
- You can’t do chores if there are none to be done. I am embarrassed to say that I spend way too much time doing things around the house that don’t have to be done instead of spending time with the kids. Like straightening up the deck. Who cares!
- Christmas Eve for “Santa” is MUCH easier and ((GASP)) fun when out of town.
- You don’t feel guilty all week walking through your house seeing all the things that need to be done.
- Your house is perfect during the holidays-which you shouldn’t want but do-b/c it’s someone else’s. And this someone else doesn’t have 3 children.
- It’s so nice to sit outside in the quiet with your spouse.
- You get to do all things you keep wanting to do with your kids-like learn to do the ‘whip nae-nae” via Youtube videos. You know, the important things in life.
- It was small enough that the children could take baths/straighten their rooms while you loaded the dishwasher:).
- Cabins/vaca places always have relaxation extras-ours had a jacuzzi and a firepit. So much fun and so nice to have!
- Cooking makes the whole cabin smell so Christmas-y.